Thursday, July 26, 2007

Sick Out

I'm not starting this post with a picture because it would ruin my dramatic effect. There will be a picture later... I promise.

Ok so I'm about to go to bed tonight and I go to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

As I'm standing in the kitchen, with only the light from the refrigerator, pouring my water, I hear a noise. Not an ice dropping into the frezer noise, not a refrigerator gurgle noise, not an old house creaking noise, but a very much alive noise.

I freeze.

The noise stops.

I shut the fridge.

Noise again.. definitely alive, definitely scratching.

So I do what any normal female would do - I run for help.

This is how my conversation went with my roommate (who was asleep):
Me: Meliss, something is moving in the kitchen
Melissa: What?
Me: Something is MOVING in the kitchen
Melissa: Yeah, I got that much, WHAT is moving?
Me: I have no idea! A mouse? A roach? A very small person? GET UP!

Now we're in the kitchen, waiting for the noise.

Melissa stomps on the floor - scratching noise begins.

I grab the flashlight. Do I have overhead lighting? Yes. Do I think to use it? No.

Flashlights are much more mysterious.

We determine that the noise is definitely coming from the bottom cupboard where we keep the food. We think it's a mouse.

Melissa: I'm ok with it living in there until tomorrow.
Me: I'm not! We just bought that food!

Melissa climbs on the sink.

I grab the swiffer.

She opens the door.

Nothing.

I poke around with the swiffer.

Nothing.

Finally, it moves again. It's defintiely on Melissa's shelf.

I hand her the mop.

I don't know why I thought that cleaning supplies would help us.

Swiffer? Check. Mop? Check. Big scary moving thing in cupboard? Check.


Then I move some stuff around and I see this abomination:




That's right, the biggest, nastiest roach I have EVER seen. I've lived in this house for over a year and this is the first roach I have ever seen in it. Gross.

Then I had to kill it. I hit that thing 3 times with a shoe and it still drug itself around the shelf with one leg.

I want to vomit just thinking about it. Gross.

Melissa says "great. I WOULD get the roach shelf."

Gross.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LD, that is sick...just sick.

While living in the Carnation House, I had roach dance. Some of you may be familiar with this dance...Butch made me perform it at night church once...mortifying. Nonetheless, I think one time I actually jumped on Rachel's (or was it Katie Farish's) back.

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience, but did you have to put a big, ugly picture of a roach on your blog?! Great, now I am going to have bad dreams!!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh! Believe it or not, this makes me miss living with you guys so much! Remember Templeton the rat?? Geesa was there. Now THAT was disgusting. eww. i get chills just thinking about it. ok, i love you...and miss you. the end.
-et